Perennial plant originating in Europe that grows to a height of 1 to 1.5 meters. Long tubular reddish-purple flowers bloom one by one from bottom to top.
Cultivated in gardens and grows naturally in uncultivated land escaping closer to villages.
Parts of the plant that may be ingested accidentally.
Leaves, etc. Since its leaves resemble comfrey, it might be accidentally ingested as comfrey. Comfrey was considered as edible in the past, however, in recent years it became known to cause liver disorder when ingested excessively, because it contains pyrrolizidine alkaloid. Consequently, it might be better not to consume comfrey. (Please refer to the page on comfrey discussed later.)
Gastrointestinal distress, vomiting, diarrhea, arrhythmia, headache, dizziness. Serious cases can lead to suspension of cardiac function and become fatal.
It contains cardiac glycoside digitoxin, especially in the leaves. Whole plantis poisonous.